A Large Family and a Long Life ? Phebe Boynton
B. 23 Nov 1750 in Coventry, Connecticut
M. about 1765 in (probably) Easthampton, Massachusetts
Husband: Benjamin Clapp
D. 30 Nov 1847 in Easthampton, Massachusetts
Phebe Boynton was born November 23, 1750 in Coventry, Connecticut to Joshua Boynton and Rachel Carpenter. Phebe was their first child and they had a second daughter Anne just before Joshua died in 1752. Phebe's mother married a second man, Ebenezer French, and they had nine children.
Phebe married Benjamin Clapp in about 1765 and they settled in Easthampton, Massachusetts. If this marriage date is accurate, she was just 14 or 15 years old; Benjamin would have been 26 or 27. They had 13 children born between 1768 and 1794.
The Clapps lived the rest of their lives in Easthampton. Benjamin served a short time in the American Revolution, but left to care for his sick father. Phebe also had two half-brothers who served in the revolution. Benjamin was said to have been mentally impaired late in his life and Phebe must have cared for him. He died on November 8, 1815.
Phebe lived another 32 years as a widow. She was said to have ?a very genial disposition? and she ?retained activity, both of mind and soul, till the last year of her life.? On November 30, 1847, Phebe died at the age of 97. Many of her children had predeceased her and it is said that she had 70 grandchildren. She was said to have been the last survivor of the original 73 members of her church, which was founded in Easthampton in 1785.Children:
1. Rachel Clapp ? B. 28 Feb 1768; D. 11 Jul 1868; M. Nathaniel Edwards, Jan 1800
2. Ocran Clapp ? B. 27 Feb 1770; D. 16 Dec 1835; M. Sarah Lyman
3. Sophia Clapp ? B. 9 Dec 1771, Easthampton, Massachusetts; D. 12 Sep 1840, Nelson, New Hampshire; M. Reverend Gad Newell (1764-1859)
4. Anne Clapp ? B. 21 Nov 1773, Easthampton, Massachusetts; D. 13 Dec 1802, Charlotte, Vermont; M. Medad Lyman (1770-1813)
5. Clarissa Clapp ? B. 22 Feb 1776; D. after 1864; M. Jonathan Lyman
6. Benjamin Clapp ? B. 14 Nov 1778; D. 1 Apr 1821
7. Sally Clapp ? B. 15 Nov 1780; D. 9 Jan 1844; M. Daniel Lyman, 31 Dec 1806
8. Solomon Clapp ? B. 2 Sep 1782, Massachusetts; D. 25 Nov 1827, Easthampton, Massachusetts; M. Pauline Avery (1787-1864)
9. Spencer Clapp ? B. 15 Aug 1784; M. Diana Phelps, 1 Jan 1805
10. Phebe Clapp ? B. 6 Sep 1786, Southampton, Massachusetts; M. Levi Clapp (1784-1856)
11. Fanny Clapp ? B. 24 Feb 1789; D. after 1864; Jared Clark, 5 Jan 1809
12. Caroline Clapp ? B. 15 Oct 1791; D. after 1864; M. Milton Knight
13. George Clapp ? B. 24 Apr 1794; D. 15 Jul 1825Sources:The History of Easthampton: its settlement and growth
, Payson W. Lyman, 1866The Clapp Memorial: record of the Clapp family in America
, Ebenezer Clapp, 1876The American almanac and repository of useful knowledge
, Charles Bowen, 1848
Tombstone inscriptions from Main Street Cemetery, Easthampton, MassachusettsA History of Nelson, New Hampshire
, Parke Hardy Struthers, 1968The Lyman Family in America
, Lyman Coleman, 1872
- Left Three Daughters As Orphans ? Medad Lyman
B. 18 Mar 1770 in Charlotte, Vermont M. (1) before 1797 in (probably) Charlotte, Vermont Wife: Anne Clapp M. (2) 5 Dec 1805 in (probably) Charlotte, Vermont Wife: Olive Mead D. 5 Feb 1813 in (probably) Charlotte, Vermont Medad Lyman was born on March...
- Old Soldier In The Revolution ? Jonathan Clapp
B. 2 Sep 1713 in Easthampton, Massachusetts M. 23 Jan 1735 in Easthampton, Massachusetts Wife: Submit Strong D. 10 May 1782 in Easthampton, Massachusetts Jonathan Clapp was born on September 2, 1713 to Roger Clapp and Elizabeth Bartlett in Easthampton,...
- Indians Burned Down His House ? Preserved Clapp
B. 23 Nov 1643 in Dorchester, Massachusetts M. 4 Jun 1668 in Northampton, Massachusetts Wife: Sarah Newberry D. 20 Sep 1720 in Northampton, Massachusetts Preserved Clapp was born on November 23, 1643 in Dorchester, Massachusetts to Roger Clap and Joanna...
- Captain In The Revolutionary War ? Oliver Lyman
B. 1 Apr 1739 in Northampton, Massachusetts M. about 1760 Wife: Eleanor Lyman D. 22 Jun 1799 in Charlotte, Vermont Oliver Lyman was born in Northampton, Massachusetts on April 1, 1739 to Gad Lyman and Thankful Pomeroy. He was the oldest of six children....
- Died After Giving Birth ? Anne Clapp
B. 21 Nov 1773 in Easthampton, Massachusetts M. before 1797 Husband: Medad Lyman D. 13 Dec 1802 in Charlotte, Vermont Anne Clapp was born November 21, 1773 in Easthampton, Massachusetts to Benjamin Clapp and Phebe Boynton. She was one of 15 children;...