Baptized at Westminster Abbey ? Paul Thorndike
B. about 1642 in (probably) Salem, Massachusetts
M. 28 Apr 1668 in Beverly, Massachusetts
Wife: Mary Patch
D. before 2 Jan 1698 in Beverly, Massachusetts
Paul Thorndike was born to John Thorndike and Elizabeth Stratton in about 1642, probably in Salem, Massachusetts. He was the middle child amongst six sisters. Paul's parents had migrated to America from England during the 1630s. It is believed that his mother died when he was in his teens.
When Paul was about 20, he appears to have traveled to England. Paul's uncle, Herbert Thorndike, was the Canon of Westminster Abbey and a noted theologian. Paul stayed with his uncle on the grounds of Westminster at least for awhile. He was said to have been baptized into the Church of England at the Abbey on April 18, 1663.
Paul's father and youngest sisters also traveled to London in 1668; his father died shortly after arriving and was buried in Westminster Abbey. Uncle Herbert died four years later and mentioned Paul's sisters in his will, leaving them an inheritance as long as they didn't return to America. But Paul wasn't in Herbert's will, because he had returned to America before his father and sisters made the trip over. The tone Herbert took with the sisters suggested that he objected to the religious views of the Puritans. Paul must have made a decision to choose a Puritan life over the Church of England.
On April 28, 1668, Paul married Mary Patch in Beverly, Massachusetts. Between 1669 and 1684, they had seven children. Paul was a selectman at the first town meeting of Beverly, Massachusetts when it broke away from Salem to become its own town in 1668. He was a surveyor of highways in 1674. In 1694, he was chairman of the committee to settle the boundary between Beverly and the town of Manchester. Paul was commissioned as "Lieutenant of the Foot Company? under Captain William Dixey in 1677, and became a captain himself in 1689.
As the only son of his father, Paul inherited a large amount of land, which he increased during his life. He died in Beverly before January 2, 1698, when his estate was valued at over £450. There was a promontory along the Beverly shore named after him ? it was known as ?Paul?s Head." The place was renamed "Hospital Point" during the 19th century.
Famous descendants of Paul Thorndike include John Kerry.Children:
1. Mary Thorndike ? B. 8 Jan 1669, Beverly, Massachusetts; D. 31 Dec 1732, Beverly, Massachusetts; M. Robert Morgan (1670-1762)
2. Elizabeth Thorndike ? B. 14 Oct 1670; D. 12 Jun 1727; M. Isaac Woodbury (~1636-1694)
3. Hannah Thorndike ? B. 14 May 1673
4. John Thorndike ? B. 22 Jan 1675, Beverly, Massachusetts; D. 23 Mar 1760, Beverly, Massachusetts; M. (1) Joanna Larkin (1673-1716), 20 Apr 1696, Beverly, Massachusetts; (2) Christiana West, 30 Mar 1718, Beverly, Massachusetts; (3) Abigail Conant, Jun 1732
5. Paul Thorndike ? B. 17 Apr 1677, Beverly, Massachusetts; D. 14 Feb 1742, Beverly, Massachusetts; M. Mary Batchelder, 11 Dec 1701
6. Martha Thorndike ? B. about 1682; D. 2 Mar 1782
7. Herbert Thorndike ? B. 1684; D. 6 Jan 1762Sources:Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-33
, Robert Charles Anderson, 1995Biographical sketches of representative citizens of the state of Maine
, 1903Historic homes and places and genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, Volume 2
, William Richard Cutter, 1908
Research of D.G. Weymouth [former website]
GeneaStar: Famous Family Tree and Genealogy [website]
- A Woman Of Wealth And Status ? Anne Derehaugh
B. about 1584 in Badingham, England M. about 1603 in Badingham, England Husband: John Stratton D. after 1642 in (probably) Massachusetts Emigrated: 15 Apr 1635 on the ship Increase Anne Derehaugh was connected to royalty in England. She was born in about...
- Mother Of Fourteen Children ? Freedom Woodward
B. about 1642 in Dorchester, Massachusetts M. 18 Nov 1662 in Northampton, Massachusetts Husband: Jedediah Strong D. 10 May 1681 in Northampton, Massachusetts Many women in the Puritan colonies had large families and Freedom Woodward was an example...
- Horse Thief In The Family ? Robert Morgan
B. about 1601 in Great Britain M. 27 Jan 1638 in Salem, Massachusetts Wife: Margaret Norman D. 1672 in Beverly, Massachusetts Emigrated: before 1636 There is no conclusive information regarding the origin of Robert Morgan who lived in 17th century Salem,...
- Two Children Who Died In A Fire ? Jane Kittredge
B. 27 Mar 1703 in Billerica, Massachusetts M. 25 May 1726 in Billerica, Massachusetts Husband: Thomas Kittredge D. 25 Jun 1779 in Tewksbury, Massachusetts Jane Kittredge was born on Mar 27, 1703 in Billerica, Massachusetts to John Kittredge and Hannah...
- Sailing Ahead Of The Winthrop Fleet ? William Dixey
B. about 1607 in England M. about 1634 in Massachusetts Wife: Hannah D. 1690 in Beverly, Massachusetts Emigrated: 1629 It's unknown where William Dixey was born in 1607, only that he was from England. But it would seem likely that he came from Linconshire...