First European Born in Dutch Colony ? Sarah Jorise Rapelje
B. 9 Jun 1625 in Fort Orange, New Netherlands
M. (1) 1639 in New Amsterdam, New Netherlands
Husband: Hans Hansen Bergen
M. (2) 19 Aug 1654 in New Amsterdam, New Netherlands
Husband: Teunis Gysbertse Bogaert
D. 1685 in Brooklyn, New York
Sarah Jorise Rapelje was credited as being the first European child born in the New Netherlands colony (what later became the state of New York). Her parents, Joris Jansen Rapelje and Catalyntje Jeronimus Trico, had been on the ship which brought the first settlers over from Amsterdam to the colony of New Netherlands. The ship didn?t stop at Manhattan, but went all the way up to Fort Orange, where present-day Albany now stands. The new arrivals were needed to help build the fort, and Sarah?s parents lived there when she was born on June 9, 1625.
The Rapelje family moved down to New Amsterdam when Sarah was still a baby, and later settled in Brooklyn. The family grew to include 11 children. There is a story that Peter Minuit gave Sarah 20 morgen
of land, but it's not known if this was true.
When Sarah was just 14, she married Hans Hansen Bergen. They had eight children born between about 1640 and 1653, the youngest two being twins. Hans died, and Sarah married Teunis Gysbertse Bogaert on August 19, 1654 in New Amsterdam. They had seven children born between about 1655 and 1668. The family moved to Wallabout (in what is now Brooklyn) in about 1657.
Later in her life, Sarah received a 400-acre land grant from the government. She died in Brooklyn in 1685. Sarah's chair is in the collection of the Museum of the City of New York, and a tankard containing a medallion given to her upon her marriage to Hans Bergen was donated by descendants to the Brooklyn Museum of Art.
Famous descendants of Sarah Jorise Rapelje include Humphrey Bogart and Howard Dean.Children by Hans Bergen:
1. Anneke Bergen ? B. about 1640, New Amsterdam, New Netherlands; M. Dirck Jansen Hoogland
2. Brecktje Bergen ? B. about 1642, New Amsterdam, New Netherlands; M. Aert Anthonize Middagh
3. Jan Hansen Bergen ? B. about 1644, New Amsterdam, New Netherlands; M. Janetje Teunis (~1641-?)
4. Michiel Hansen Bergen ? B. about 1646, New Amsterdam, New Netherlands; D. about 1732; M. Femmetje Teunise (~1650-?)
5. Joris Hansen Bergen ? B. about 1649, New Amsterdam, New Netherlands; M. Sarah Stryker, 11 Aug 1678, New York
6. Marritje Bergen ? B. about 1651, New Amsterdam, New Netherlands; M. Jacob Ruthszen
7. Jacob Hansen Bergen ? B. about 1653, New Amsterdam, New Netherlands; M. Elsje Fredericks, 8 Jul 1677, New York
8. Catalyna Bergen ? B. about 1653; D. youngChildren by Teunis Bogaert:
1. Aertje Tunisen Bogaert ? B. about 1655, New Netherlands; M. Theodore Polhemius, 24 Oct 1677, New York
2. Catalyntje Tunisen Bogaert ? B. 16 Dec 1657, Wallabout, New Netherlands; M. Jan Teunise Van Middleswart (~1654-?), 16 Nov 1679
3. Neeltje Tunisen Bogaert ? B. about 1660, New Netherlands; D. young
4. Aaltje Tunisen Bogaert ? B. about 1661, New Netherlands; M. Charles Claasz, 11 Dec 1681
5. Antje Tunisen Bogaert ? B. about 1665, New York; M. Joris Abrahamse Brinckerhoff
6. Neeltje Tunisen Bogaert ? B. about 1665, New York; M. Cornelis Teunise Denyse, 22 Aug 1687, New York
7. Gysbert Tunisen Bogaert ? B. about 1668, New York; M. Jannetje Van Arsdalen (~1667-1731), 16 Apr 1689, New York Sources:
Sarah Rapelje [Wikipedia article]
Joris Jansen Rapelje [Wikipedia article] The Island at the Center of the World
, Russel Shorto, 2005
"14 Generations," New York Newsday
, 23 Nov 1997Genealogies of the New Jersey Families: Families A-Z, pre-American nots on old New Netherland families
, Genealogical Publishing Company, 1996
GeneaStar: Famous Family Tree and Genealogy [website]
- Indentured Servant At Age 7 ? Phoebe Sayles
B. 1625 in Little Waldingtonfield, England M. (1) about 1639 in New Netherlands Husband: Hendrick de Boer Fallix M. (2) 11 Feb 1640 in New Amsterdam, New Netherlands Husband: Teunis Nyssen Denyse M. (3) 24 Aug 1663 in Flatbush, New Netherlands Husband:...
- The Beginning Of New York ? Joris Jansen Rapelje
B. 28 Apr 1604 in Valenciennes, Spanish Netherlands (now France) M. 21 Jan 1624 in Amsterdam, Netherlands Wife: Catalyntje Jeronimus Trico D. 21 Feb 1663 in New Amsterdam, New Netherlands Emigrated: 1624 on the ship Eondracht In 1624, Joris Jansen Rapelje...
- Adopting A New Name ? Jan Teunise Van Middleswart
B. about 1654 in New Amsterdam, New Netherlands M. 16 Nov 1679 in New York Wife: Catlyntje Tunisen Bogaert D. after 1742 Jan Teunise (or Tunisen) was born in about 1654 and baptized in New Amsterdam on April 12th of that year. His parents were Teunis...
- The Mother Of New York ? Catalyntje Jeronimus Trico
B. about 1605 in Prisches, France M. 21 Jan 1624 in Amsterdam, Netherlands Husband: Joris Jansen Rapalje D. 14 Feb 1685 in Wallabout, New York Emigrated: 1624 on the ship Eendrecht Catalyntje Jeronimus Trico was among the very first settlers in the Dutch...
- A Teacher And Leader In Early Flatbush ? Adrian Hegeman
B. about 1624 in Elburg, Holland M. 7 Mar 1649 in Amsterdam, Holland Wife: Catherina Margetts D. 1672 in Flatbush, New York Emigrated: about 1650 Adrian Hegeman was born in Elburg, Holland in about 1624, the son of Reverend Hendrick Hegeman. By 1649,...