Two Children Who Died in a Fire ? Jane Kittredge
B. 27 Mar 1703 in Billerica, Massachusetts
M. 25 May 1726 in Billerica, Massachusetts
Husband: Thomas Kittredge
D. 25 Jun 1779 in Tewksbury, Massachusetts
Jane Kittredge was born on Mar 27, 1703 in Billerica, Massachusetts to John Kittredge and Hannah French. She was one of 12 children.
Jane married her first-cousin Thomas Kittredge on May 25, 1726 in Billerica. They soon had two sons, Thomas and Jonathan, born a year apart. On October 5, 1729, she left the boys in the care of 12 year-old girl while she and her husband Thomas attended church service. The girl saw that some hogs had gotten loose and went out to the cornfield to retrieve them. Unfortunately, while she was gone, the house caught fire with the children inside, and the young boys both died. The New England Weekly Journal
reported the tragedy a week later.
Jane went on to have six more children, one who died young and one who died serving in the French and Indian War. Jane died of dysentery and dropsy on June 25, 1779 in Tewksbury (which was formerly a part of Billerica). Her husband survived her, dying in 1794.Children:
1. Thomas Kittredge ? B. 10 Apr 1727, Billerica, Massachusetts; D. 5 Oct 1729, Billerica, Massachusetts
2. Jonathan Kittredge ? B. 28 Jul 1728, Billerica, Massachusetts; D. 5 Oct 1729, Billerica, Massachusetts
3. Abigail Kittredge ? B. 6 May 1730, Billerica, Massachusetts
4. Thomas Kittredge ? B. 9 Nov 1731, Billerica, Massachusetts; D. 16 Jan 1806, Tewksbury, Massachusetts; M. Anna Thorndike (1736-1824), 24 Sep 1755
5. Joshua Kittredge ? B. 26 Feb 1733, Billerica, Massachusetts; D. 1756
6. Sarah Kittredge ? B. 4 Jun 1736, Tewksbury, Massachusetts
7. Joanna Kittredge ? B. 1 May 1742, Tewksbury, Massachusetts; M. Joseph Kittredge, 27 Sep 1770
8. Mary Kittredge ? B. 20 Jul 1744, Tewksbury, Massachusetts; D. 25 Dec 1747, Tewksbury, Massachusetts Sources:The Kittredge Family in America
, Mabel T. Kittredge, 1936Vital Records of Tewksbury, Massachusetts, to the end of the year 1849
- Ordered To Garrison Soldiers ? Thomas Patten
B. October 1636 in Cambridge, Massachusetts M. (1) 1 Apr 1662 in Dedham, Massachusetts Wife: Rebecca Paine M. (2) 20 May 1686 in Billerica, Massachusetts Wife: Sarah (Kendall) Dunton D. 14 Jan 1690 in Billerica, Massachusetts Thomas Patten was born at...
- An Interest In Practicing Medicine ? John Kittredge
B. about 1630 in England M. 2 Nov 1664 in Wells, Maine Wife: Mary Littlefield D. 18 Oct 1676 in Billerica, Massachusetts Emigrated: before 1660 According to family tradition, John Kittredge had a strong interest in medicine. He was born in about 1630...
- Said To Be A Militia General ? William French
B. 25 Jan 1713 in Billerica, Massachusetts M. 22 Apr 1736 in (probably) Billerica, Massachusetts Wife: Tabitha Pierce D. 1793 in (probably) Bedford, New Hampshire William French was born in Billerica, Massachusetts on January 25, 1713, the son of William...
- A Poor Wounded Man ? John French
B. 1635 in England M. (1) 21 Jun 1659 in Billerica, Massachusetts Wife: Abigail Coggan M. (2) 3 Jul 1662 in Billerica, Massachusetts Wife: Hannah Burrage M. (3) 14 Jan 1668 Wife: Hannah Rogers M. (4) 16 Jan 1678 in Billerica, Massachusetts Wife: Mary...
- Two Husbands In King Philip's War ? Mary Littlefield
B. 14 Dec 1646 in Woburn, Massachusetts M. (1) 2 Nov 1664 in Wells, Maine Husband: John Kittredge M. (2) 16 Jan 1678 in Billerica, Massachusetts Husband: John French D. 9 Oct 1719 in Billerica, Massachusetts Mary Littlefield was of a family who had much...