Ordered to Garrison Soldiers ? Thomas Patten
B. October 1636 in Cambridge, Massachusetts
M. (1) 1 Apr 1662 in Dedham, Massachusetts
Wife: Rebecca Paine
M. (2) 20 May 1686 in Billerica, Massachusetts
Wife: Sarah (Kendall) Dunton
D. 14 Jan 1690 in Billerica, Massachusetts
Thomas Patten was born at Cambridge, Massachusetts in October 1636 to William and Mary Patten. He was one of six children. When Thomas came of age in 1654, he moved to the new town of Billerica. His house was on the west of Long Street, south of the Common near the house of Francis Richardson. He owned considerable land in Billerica and an interest in a sawmill in the nearby community of Pattenville.
On April 1, 1662, Thomas married Rebecca Paine of Dedham, Massachusetts. Between 1664 and 1680, they had seven children. Rebecca died 11 days after giving birth to their youngest child and on May 20, 1686, Thomas married Sarah Dunton, a widow from Reading whose maiden name was Kendall. They had two children.
Thomas does not seem to have taken an active part in the public affairs of Billerica; in 1664, he was fined thirteen shillings for not doing required military training. Men in communities like Billerica were expected to do some service in protecting their town from attacks by Indians. In 1675, an order was passed by the selectmen and committee of the militia appointing garrison houses and Thomas' house was one of the places selected. The order named five men who were assigned to his house. Thomas was made "overseer" of his garrison and it was his duty to "regulate the work of the garrison and determine what should be done for fortifying them."
Thomas died in Billerica on January 14, 1690 at the age of 52. He left a will and the inventory of his property showed a value of £308. His wife Sarah was pregnant at the time he died and gave birth to a son four months later.Children by Rebecca Paine:
1. Mary Patten ? B. 21 Aug 1664, Billerica, Massachusetts; M. Benjamin Cromwell, 5 Mar 1703
2. Thomas Patten ? B. 22 Mar 1666, Billerica, Massachusetts; D. 14 Sep 1752; M. Hannah Foster (~1669-1742), 21 Dec 1699, Billerica, Massachusetts
3. Nathaniel Patten ? B. 14 Sep 1668, Billerica, Massachusetts; D. 2 Apr 1718, Billerica, Massachusetts; M. Hannah Ross, 6 Dec 1695, Billerica, Massachusetts
4. William Patten ? B. 12 May 1671, Billerica, Massachusetts; D. 5 Oct 1730, Cambridge, Massachusetts; M. (1) Mary _______ (~1668-1716); (2) Elizabeth ______, 1717, Billerica, Massachusetts
5. Rebecca Patten ? B. 29 Jan 1675, Billerica, Massachusetts; D. 13 Feb 1750; M. Joseph Davis (?-1747), 18 Jun 1691, Billerica, Massachusetts
6. Sarah Patten ? B. 18 Jun 1677, Billerica, Massachusetts
7. Elizabeth Patten ? B. 8 May 1680, Billerica, Massachusetts; M. James Wright, 7 May 1701Children by Sarah Kendall:
1. Mehitable Patten ? B. 28 Feb 1687, Billerica, Massachusetts; D. 13 Jan 1743; M. William French (1687-1746), about 1712
2. Kendall Patten ? B. 20 Apr 1689, Billerica, Massachusetts; D. 14 Dec 1770; M. (1) Abigail ______ (?-1718); (2) Abigail Kittredge (1700-?) Sources:Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts, Vol. 1
, William Richard Cutter and William Frederick Adams, 1910The history of Peter Parker and Sarah Ruggles of Roxbury, Massachusetts and their ancestors and descendants
, John William Linzee, 1918Patten Genealogy
, Thomas Baldwin, 1908
- A Doctor In Colonial America ? John Kittredge
B. 24 Jan 1666 in Billerica, Massachusetts M. 3 Apr 1685 in Billerica, Massachusetts Wife: Hannah French D. 24 Apr 1714 in Billerica, Massachusetts John Kittredge was the oldest son of John Kittredge and Mary Littlefield. He was born January 24, 1666...
- Said To Be A Militia General ? William French
B. 25 Jan 1713 in Billerica, Massachusetts M. 22 Apr 1736 in (probably) Billerica, Massachusetts Wife: Tabitha Pierce D. 1793 in (probably) Bedford, New Hampshire William French was born in Billerica, Massachusetts on January 25, 1713, the son of William...
- Two Children Who Died In A Fire ? Jane Kittredge
B. 27 Mar 1703 in Billerica, Massachusetts M. 25 May 1726 in Billerica, Massachusetts Husband: Thomas Kittredge D. 25 Jun 1779 in Tewksbury, Massachusetts Jane Kittredge was born on Mar 27, 1703 in Billerica, Massachusetts to John Kittredge and Hannah...
- A Poor Wounded Man ? John French
B. 1635 in England M. (1) 21 Jun 1659 in Billerica, Massachusetts Wife: Abigail Coggan M. (2) 3 Jul 1662 in Billerica, Massachusetts Wife: Hannah Burrage M. (3) 14 Jan 1668 Wife: Hannah Rogers M. (4) 16 Jan 1678 in Billerica, Massachusetts Wife: Mary...
- Two Husbands In King Philip's War ? Mary Littlefield
B. 14 Dec 1646 in Woburn, Massachusetts M. (1) 2 Nov 1664 in Wells, Maine Husband: John Kittredge M. (2) 16 Jan 1678 in Billerica, Massachusetts Husband: John French D. 9 Oct 1719 in Billerica, Massachusetts Mary Littlefield was of a family who had much...